Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 19, 2011 Pre-Op.... I thought this was a Surgeon Consult??

All day I anticipate the Dr telling me that my results are abnormal but its just fatty tissue and we need to keep an eye on this. Once again my wishful thinking was just that. She started off by showing me where the masses are and what types they were. She did use the term Pre-Cancerous so in my mind "Oh good its not cancer" but when she said I would have to start radiation it was as if the record playing in my mind scratched and stopped. "Wait what? This is cancer? So I have cancer?" "Yes you have cancer. But its smaller than a centimeter and it's not at Stage 1. You realize you saved your life". I do have some recollection of that office visit but it's kind of a blur. I almost felt like I was in a Charlie Brown Cartoon listening to the teacher talk "Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah". I am so glad that Kenny and Cassandra were there with me to ask the questions I had forgotten to ask, to ask their own questions and to be such a great support for me. I am now waiting for the surgery department to call me and schedule a date to be within the next two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. SEEE!!!! exactly. The fact that they couldn't tell you what the apt for with the surgeon was kinda did imply it would be more of a consult or briefing than an actual procedure. They should be far more human with you and sensitive... they don't need to bake their patients brownies and sing them lullabies, but they should tell you what to expect and what needs to be done. I'm sorry they weren't more curious. I think letting you know what would happen before hand would have helped you feel less dazed and more in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops more courteous, not more curious:)

    ReplyDelete