Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 12, 2011 The Biopsy, Oh Joy!

Once again I return to the hospital, get on the elevator and go down to the basement. Now usually my thoughts are, man this facility is old, I live in LA and if there is an earthquake this could not be good for me....Not today. I checked in, went to the waiting room and before I knew it I was in a room where a nurse was explaining to me what was going to happen and had me sign papers. Truly I had no idea what was going on, I was just going through the motions. I then had to change my clothes and wait for another nurse to take me to another room for the biopsy to be done. Gwen, the nurse, came to get me and I go into a room. She had me put my handbag on a table and then I had to lay down on a bed. The doctor seemed to take forever to come in but finally he did. He was so nice and listened to me for about 1 minute while I tried to talk him out of doing the Biopsy. My rational mind was working "But if this is just 'fatty tissue' why bother" "Cant we just watch this for 6 months and then re-evaluate?" Dr Kim was stern in his decision and continued with the procedure. He had to numb me in order to perform the biopsy, I wish they would have knocked me out for that part. The actual Biopsy I didn't feel, lucky me. I was told once the biopsy would start I would hear a click and to expect 5 clicks total and he should be done. I stopped counting after 7, this continued for what seemed forever. Gwen was so incredible holding my hand the entire time. Once I was done with that I then had to go to another room for a mammogram...good thing I was still numb! They put a small chip in the area of the biopsy for future mammograms to be looked at in that area with more scrutiny. I then had steri-strips put on the site of the needle. I was able to then go put my clothes back on and with an ice pack wait a bit longer. By know I am feeling as though, Ok really is this happening??? After all seemed to be good I was able to go home and wait for the 5 days before a nurse would call with the results. The prayers began.

No comments:

Post a Comment