Wednesday, February 29, 2012

That Little Bugger

Tuesday February 21, 2012, after over 4 hours of a Bi-Lateral Mastectomy surgery, I woke up a new person.  I had spent 2 nights in the hospital & was then able to go home....note to self: after major surgery, don't go home during rush hour traffic in LA!!!   I will say being prepared for what I would wake up to really helped, but still hard to look down and see what Cancer can do to you.  I did have a nice talk with my body that morning "Well, I have known you all my life but recently you have made me sick.  I think my husband has enjoyed you more than I have, now it's time for you to go".  You have to find humor in all this, otherwise its not worth the anguish.  The pain hasn't been too bad and by Saturday I was only taking Advil for pain.  I wouldn't have been able to get through this without my the support and love of my husband, family, faith and friends.   I have so loved all the flowers, plants, magazines, baked goods, dinners and company during this last week.

Wednesday February 29, 2012 at my post op appointments I learned from the pathology report that I had more cancer removed.  It was a very small cell but Lobular Cancer spreads & I guess my Lobular cancer was trying to spread, that little bugger just didn't want to leave!  I knew with certainty having this surgery was what I needed to do, and that pathology report just confirmed it for me.  I feel very blessed to have the doctors I have.  I have been able to catch up on some shows and movies I have missed over the last few months.  Recovering from a double mastectomy is easier than recovering from chemo...for sure!  I still have my complete hysterectomy coming up soon.     Walking around the streets of LA going from one appointment to another today was a bit scary.  All I could think of is, I hope no one bumps into me.  Having stitches across your chest has that protective/scariness to it.  Just taking it easy is not one of my strong points, I can't wait to drive, get back being busy and wondering where the day went with so much to do.  I am allowed to go on my long walks again, my hair is growing and that since of independence is coming back again.  Can you tell, I'm excited!!!  Having Cancer isn't always easy but my cancer is beatable!  Having such a great support system has made this fight so much easier.  Get the tissues out and see this through to the end....just like you are doing for me.  Thank You All, this one is for you!!


1 comment:

  1. i love this attitude! my mom just had a double mastectomy last november but has made a great recovery... and i know you will too! i will keep you in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete