Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Family Genes

I have learned a bit about Genetics and their relation to Breast Cancer.  Now they say Family History  of Cancer is important.  Well there have been a lot of my family members who have had cancer at some point in their life.  Family History is categorized into three different types; Sporadic, Familial and Hereditary.  There is no genetic testing at this time that can determine Sporadic or Familial....BUT there is for Hereditary.  The Genetic testing that can be done will look for mutations in genes that scientists have been able to identify as BRAC1 BRAC2 (breast cancer gene).  If mutations are found this means that I have an increased risk of Breast Cancer re-occurring, but cannot determine if or when cancer will develop.  I had this test done two weeks ago and today I was able to sit down with my Genetics Councilor to review my lab results.

Oh Happy Day....all my extensive results show all NEGATIVE.  This is great news. My girls, my sister, my niece and my grand daughters etc.... will not have this in their Genetic Line!!  This is such a relief.  I will have this test repeated every 5 years as genes change over time.

Once again I am grateful for prayers said on my behalf and I am so grateful for all our prayers that are answered. Thursday is my Oncology 2nd Opinion Appointment.  This will determine if I need Chemotherapy or not.  I will do what ever I have to do in order to fulfill my life here on earth.  Today is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment